Monday, May 30, 2011

Forget That...How Did I Miss This???

"To succeed in keeping the law one must aim at something other and something more. One must aim to become the kind of person from whom the deeds of the law naturally flow. The apple tree naturally and easily produces apples because of its inner nature...And here also lies the fundamental mistake of the scribe and Pharisee. They focus on the actions that the law requires...They are intensely self-conscious about doing the right thing...But the inner dimensions of their personality, their heart and character, are left to remain contrary to what God has required."  (Willard, The Divine Conspiracy, 142)

This is the best understanding I have found on what, at its core, religion is: Trying to reach God through actions. And as I think about it, it is easier to focus on my actions than on my heart. Not to mention I can always find someone whose actions are worse than mine, thereby making myself feel better.

Opposite religion is seeking Jesus and allowing Him to change my heart, so that I automatically produce the right kind of fruit (actions). Sounds easy...

No comments:

Post a Comment